Hall of Fame Election Procedure
Election to the Roy Hobbs Hall of Fame starts with the nomination of an individual by anyone who so chooses. (Self-nominations are prohibited, and members of the Roy Hobbs Hall of Fame Board of Trustees are prohibited from making nominations. We respectfully request that family members not be the nominator but can be the 5th reference.)
The nomination form is found elsewhere on this website. Click here to see form Nominators should fill it out on-line and when ready, click the submit button.
The nominating period opens April 1 and lasts through early June. The deadline for Class of 2018 nominations was June 11.
The nomination form calls for the inclusion of 4 references in addition to the nominator. The 4 references are mandatory, and each of those individuals are integral to the election process.
Once the nomination form is submitted electronically, here is the process:
1. The nomination is assigned to a member of the Board of Trustees.
2. The Trustee will call the nominator within 3 business days of the submission of the nomination, to talk about the process, explain the importance of a questionnaire that will be sent to the Nominator and the references.
3. The Trustee will then send a questionnaire to the Nominator and the references. The questionnaire will call for evaluation, opinion and examples to back up those opinions.
4. Nominator and References must return the questionnaire within 14 days to the Trustee. Unreturned questionnaires will cause a nomination to be tabled until the following year.
5. The Trustee will review the returned questionnaires and will follow up with another call to the Nominator and is encouraged to call references for clarification of their answers or to seek examples.
6. The Trustee then produces a report on the Nominee, based on the nomination, the questionnaire responses and his telephone interviews. That report goes to the full Board of Trustees no later than July 6.
7. The Board of Trustees will meet the following Monday to review the nominees and determine which ones meet Roy Hobbs Hall of Fame criteria.
8. Those nominations, with the individual Trustee’s report, will be sent to the members of the Hall of Fame to vote.
9. To be elected to the Hall of Fame, nominees must be named on 70% of the Hall of Fame members ballots.
10. The Trustees then meet to validate the Hall of Fame balloting and to review any nominees who did not receive the 70% threshold. Any Trustee can move for reconsideration of any nominee and call for a Trustees vote. Again 70% of the Trustees voting must be in favor of the nominee. (Please note that more than half of the Trustees are members of the Hall of Fame – they cannot vote twice so must choose whether to vote as a Hall of Famer or as a Trustee. That decision is made before July 6.)
11. Once the Class is chosen, those elected are notified; for those not chosen, the Trustee responsible for the review of that nominee will contact the nominator.
12. Then the planning for the Induction Ceremonies begins.